Tuesday, May 3, 2011

First Day!

My first day as culinary student was... depressing. Well, I suppose it wasn't too bad. I just thought I did a terrible job as opposed to maybe other people, or perhaps in the eyes of my instructor. I need to practice. A LOT.

I was running around all damn day trying to get things ready for class tonight. I needed a copy of my high school diploma, my TB and Hepatitis A tests, oh and a check for $9,900. Luckily my parents have put aside money for school so I needn't worry too much about finances. Getting my medical tests was a different story however. I ran back and forth to the hospital and waited about 45 minutes not once, but twice and STILL didn't get my Hep. A results. Luckily, the people at FCI allowed me to take part in the class regardless.

As for the class, well it starts at 6pm and ends at 11pm. No breaks. I needed a cigarette after an hour. We got our knife and utensil kits, which is what I was mostly excited about. We went over safety regulations and took a tour of the building before starting anything. Then we learned how to julienne and jardiniére just about every vegetable known to man. All the while our instructor was quizzing us on the exact measurements of each one, what happens after you macédoine, etc. It was all quite overwhelming.

Some people from the baking class down the hall brought some pastries, so that definitely made things better.

It was so nice to finish with class and be able to come home to my wonderful boyfriend who was eagerly waiting to hear every detail, as well as my parents. I didn't realize I had such a fantastic support team. These people really want me to succeed!

Now, I have lots of work to do, I gotta wash and press my clothes and read up on my lessons. Jesus, this might just be more difficult than academics!

No comments:

Post a Comment